Calcium carbide, a greyish solid, mixed with water, produces acetylene gas.
Generating the gas onsite was the only practical method, because acetylene
becomes very unstable above 15 PSI. After it was discovered that acetylene
can be dissolved into acetone, it became practical to ship and store
acetylene at higher pressures. If any of you are gas welders, you will
notice the red-line on the pressure gauge after 15PSI. I'm still looking
for a good explanation of what happens at the atomic level why acetylene is
more stable when it's dissolved; in a full tank you have C2H2 at nearly 300
PSI, which is more than 10x higher than it's safe-handling pressure w/o
acetone.