Calcium carbide... we used to make carbide cannons with it.  With a couple
old steel
Coke cans taped together you could poke a little hole a centimeter up from
the base of the two cans... add a couple rocks of the calcium carbide and
then we'd have a little tomato can of water and put a little water on the
rocks... push in a tennis ball.  Let it build up for a few seconds then
through the hole at the base you could see the gas being released in a
stream from out of the little hole.  Get your torch just near it and BOOM!
It would send the tennis ball so far up in the sky we would often totally
lose them because it went up and so far you could just lose track of it!

https://www.toycannons.ray-vin.com/carbide/carbide.htm
https://www.toycannons.ray-vin.com/carbide/howworks.htm#:~:text=The%20carbide%20cannon%20was%20invented,a%20small%2C%20localized%20explosive%20atmosphere.

Bill