Yes, that was the only vague speculation I could come up with too -
displaying a 3 bit 'byte' in early binary calculators or similar. But I've
not found any documentation that points in that (or indeed any) direction.
The obscurity of the application probably accounts for why they're as rare
as hen's teeth now.

Jon.