And these were also non-illuminated as well. In the early 1960's, my father
swapped-out a few non-illuminated switches with the neon bulb version.
Several years later, when  was about 11 years old, I found that stash of
retired switches, took one apart, and was intrigued by the 'pellet' that
was the actual switch. A friend and I determined it had mercury in it
before we opened it, so we did some research before proceeding further. I
was a bit afraid at first, having found out that mercury was used in
explosives (fulminate), but after cracking open the first one we did the
others. I still have that small batch of mercury in a glass bottle after
nearly 50 years.

The pellets are metal on both sides, separated by glass or ceramic. As the
pellet rotated, the mercury could flow thru a hole in the ceramic or glass
separator and make electrical contact between the 2 metal sides. It was
rather clever. Due to concerns about toxicity, as well as the rising cost
of mercury, switches became mechanical-only. Some thermostats had a mercury
bulb that made electrical contact.