*Martin* - Do you know how long dekatrons last ? I have an A-101 running as
a spinner in one of my clocks, and it's been going 60RPM  24/7 for almost 8
years with no signs of degradation. I use 30k dropping resistors at the
cathodes, and the current is right at the spec value of 450uA, so that
gives about 15V for "steering", and the driving waveform is 3-phase with
overlap. I

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 4:15:05 AM UTC-8 Dekatron42 wrote:

> There is one more dimension to think about when running a dekatron and
> that is that over time it will degrade due to sputtering affecting the
> electrodes and to maintain a correct counting when it ages you should keep
> the voltages as described in the datasheet, especially the guide and bias
> voltages as those are needed when the dekatron nears its end of life - it
> is the same effect that is in play if you want to raise a dekatron from the
> dead if it has been heavily used or just stored for a very long time
> without use, raise the bias/pulse voltages and sometimes the anode voltage
> to surpass the effects of the sputtering - effectively increasing the
> current flow between the anode and the guides/cathodes.
>
> So even if dekatrons work at other voltages you will see the effects of
> lower/incorrect voltages when they near their end of life, this has been
> described in older litterature where the internals of dekatrons has been
> disected in detail - you might just need some 10V below the glowing cathode
> to move the glow on a new dekatron but as it ages it will stop working at
> that voltage.
>
> /Martin
>
> On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 00:53:36 UTC+1 bung...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Those values were left over from the 5v circuit. I was more concerned
>> with the level shifting from the PIC at 0 to +5v.
>> Peter
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 6:48 PM Jon <deka...@nomotron.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd had a similar thought about increasing the bias resistors - it's not
>>> necessary to run so much current (5mA) through that part of the circuit.
>>>
>>> OK, so your proposed conditions are that the dekatron will see are 400V
>>> anode to main cathodes; guides swinging from +25V to -25V with respect to
>>> main cathodes. Tube current will be about 345uA.
>>> I've replicated these on my dekatron tester using a nice NIB GS10C/S as
>>> the test subject and can confirm that they do work - the tube stepped fine
>>> up at speeds up to over 4kpps once I'd woken it up a bit.
>>>
>>> Caveats:
>>> 1) I only tried one tube.