Stepper relays are likely to be a problem. The first clock I made, back in
1980, was a cannibalized voltmeter that used stepper relays and
incandescent edge-lit numbers. The relays had intermittent connection
issues despite many careful attempts to clean them. I literally abandoned
this clock in 2005 when I moved to a different worksite.

Most likely you will need to clean the contacts, coat them with a conducive
grease, and take steps to prevent dust/dirt from collecting on the grease.
TV tuners (remember those ?) were notorious for having the same problem.