If you're going with SMD components, you can also try using a SMD crystal
to simplify the build process some more. I used this one for example
(although currently out of stock, but there are probably similar ones)
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/fox-electronics/FK135EIHM0-032768-T3/1024594

Also for future reference, sometimes it's actually the RTC that is faulty.
I order a lot of components from aliexpress and have had no issues with
going cheap, except in the case with RTCs. With cheap RTCs they are
sometimes the ones that failed a self test off the production line and
they'd be way off on time. I have a testing rig set up to make the RTC
output a test frequency square wave that I can measure with a multimeter
before I solder them.