Given how far you have gone I'd lift pin 2 of U17 (leaving it unconnected)
and measure the grid voltage. Then connect PIn 2 of U17 to POS5D and
measure it again. The voltage should be more positive with the pin
connected to POS5D. That would answer one and for all if the grid control
is functional. It would also help to know which CRT model you have.