So my neighbor plays bass in a couple of bands and showed me this 'plasma
pedal' the other night.  They're not cheap and he mentioned maybe we could
build one.  I told him I hadn't seen it before but would check it out.
Now, I see a couple of different ones, the common one being an argon
discharge tube and the other maybe neon as it has an orange crackle.  Any
knowledge of these devices or ideas?  Looks pretty cool to me.

https://gamechangeraudio.com/plasma/