So a little more research revealed they are using photoflash type lamps
35mm long with xenon in them.  The yellow model is simply a filter over the
tube.  They did that for Jack White, who wanted it yellow!  Apparently they
boost the guitar signal to 3500 volts, then arc the tube and use an antenna
to pick up the signal and demodulate it back to usable audio, much like AM
radio.  Interesting!