Hello,

I'm starting to design my first 6 digit nixie clock and I'd like to use
direct drive of the tubes (my power supply can take 6 nixies without
multiplexing).

So far I have built my Nixie watch, coding in ASM, worked on extreme power
saving etc.

I could multiplex the nixies as I did in this project
https://fb.watch/eTb69SnxEP/ , but since I have a good power supply I
wanted to build a clock with direct drive of the tubes.

I prefer to code in ASM (don't ask why :)  ), I could use a 100pin PIC18 to
drive each digit individually through MMBTA92 & A42 transistors. However,
if I want to use a PIC with a lower pin count (say 40pins), I may use a
driver such as HV5530.

Would I still get same brightness as a genuine direct drive as when using
A92&A42 transistors? I suppose the switching that happens using CLK/SDA on
the HV5530 is not too different than a good multiplexing. I may be wrong.

And if I were do code ASM to use HV5530, does anyone have sample ASM code?
I managed to write myself the code to read/write time from an RTC using
CLK/SDA so I suppose it's very similar but I cannot figure it out from the
datasheet of HV5530.

Any help is much appreciated.

Max