Be sure to use a level translator to drive the 5530-type devices at the
proper signal voltages (12 VDC). Some people have driven them at 5V, which
is out-of-spec and not guaranteed to work.  I use these drivers in some of
my clocks and they work very well.

Pardon my rant below, but I've been designing IC's for a living since the
1980's and too often I see others having problems with serial devices  :

  One thing that annoys me about the HV5530 (and similar) devices is that
the datasheet specs are incomplete for the serial data signals. The data-in
hold time (tH) is 10nsec, but there is no *minimum* propagation time in the
spec (tDLH, tDHL). The only have a maximum (100ns). What this means is that
per the datasheet, you cannot simply cascade multiple devices. It might
work if you do, but if you want to guarantee that it will always work,
place a rising-edge flip-flop between cascaded devices). In order to have
reliable shifting, the minimum propagation-delay of the driving device *must
be greater* than the hold-time of the next device. If there is no minimum
prop-delay spec, assume it's zero (a very safe and reasonable assumption).

My current clock project (6-tube RZ 568m) has multiple PC boards with
ribbon cables interconnecting them. Not just for the three HV5530's that
drive the tubes, but also many other devices in the same serial chain for
reading switches and controlling lamps. After many weeks of testing with
billions of bits, there are zero bit errors.....because I made sure setup
and hold times are met.