I stopped using sockets because I was worried about the extreme insertion
and extraction force. Ceramic sockets that I have seem to be very tight.
Nixies are basically irreplaceable, so anything that is a risk to the tube
is booted from my design, regardless of cost. I've been happy with
PCB-mounted socket pins because they have very low insertion force, and
make good-enough electrical contact.

Funny you mention this; I recently swapped-out eight B7971 tubes (socket
pins only, NO sockets on these rare uglies*) from my clock, to test a set
of boards for a fellow neonixie member. When I put the tubes back into my
clock, 2 tubes had a dead segment because I didn't reseat the tubes
properly. Of course I buttoned-up the case before fully testing every
segment, and it was still very readable with 2 segments down, and I figured
more might fail if I waited long enough though none ever did. Just fixed
that yesterday by wiggling them a bit. Once tubes are seated-in, they seem
to have perfect connectivity with socket pins *until* you remove them.
Wiggling doesn't seem to cause problems, just removal.

* OK, so why do I refer to 7971's as "uglies" ? To be honest, they are
pretty ugly because they lack the sculpted look of a real 10-numeral nixie
tube. But they are gigantic, and can display alphanumerics very well so I
overlook their crass appearance.