Back in the good old days when sockets were made by military suppliers,
they were designed well and made according to all the design details.
Later, these good sockets got copied by manufacturers who didn't understand
what details to copy, so they got progressively worse over the years.
Fast forward to Chinese socket shaped objects. Their pins don't have the
design subtleties, the quality materials or the special processes that were
used by companies such as Cinch to make good sockets.
Of course, old tube sockets are often oxidized if available at all. And
good luck finding IN-18 sockets that are well made.
You can buy machined socket pins that have enough 'give' to not crack the
glass. They're not cheap. See Mill-Max.