My take on this is if you need to cut costs, the 10-cent microcontroller is
definitely the way to go. It's quite amazing how much compute capability
this thing has for the price.

For me, though, I like having the ability to remotely login thru VNC using
WiFi, use my favorite pile of free Linux tools, and code-up all sorts of
diagnostic checks and error-logging. It's definitely more costly (Raspberry
Pi Zero W is now 15 USD....if you can find any, plus the cost of the
microSD card and cabling/connectors), but I dont have to worry about how
many kBytes of code get generated, and there is a decent amount of RAM (at
least 148Mbytes free on the system running my b7971 clock) . BTW, the 7971
clk code was written in C, takes 25KB for the executable, and uses 0.3% of
the RAM. No worries about a "1202 Program Alarm".