Adding series resistors also reduces the current spike during power-on.
Hard to say what fails first with VFD's; ones that I've seen such as the
displays on kitchen appliances which run 24/7 show phosphor degradation
after a few years. If you frequently power-cycle the filaments, then you
definitely want to take steps to reduce the current spike.

Be sure to include a PIR sensor so you can shut off the segments when it's
not in-use; your decision to keep filaments on or off.

For my NIMO clock, I shut off the anode supply after 2 minutes of no PIR
activity to reduce phosphor burn, and the filaments go off after 12 hours
of no activity.