My concern is that over time as the tubes age your HV supply voltage might
be too low to ensure proper ionization. If it's not adjustable, you can
boost it with a series DC supply such as a wall-wart transformer or a small
isolated DCDC converter. Anything from +12 to +24 should work fine, and the
current is pretty low (12mA).

Once you get the HV supply resolved, you will be able to get more current
thru the tubes. BUT......you may want to stay with 8mA. From the photo, the
tubes glow nicely. Tube wearout is an exponential function of current, so
staying at the lower currents is better for longer lifetime. At some point,
the current could be too low and you might see cathode poisoning, but
that's reversible. My gut feeling is that 8mA of pulsed current should be
fine.

So, are you using rectified AC-mains as your DC supply ? No worries, I've
done that on several clocks and it can be done safely with proper circuit
design.