Michael,

Looking good, some comments.

1) Why the use of CookieManager, rather than CookieHandler?  I  would
   expect that CookieHandler would be a cleaner API

2) What is the impact on the sendHeader, setBody for HEAD requests?

3) I think HttpClient could be an interface and move the create method
   to a builder/factory, and make it as immutable as possible ( this
   came up a few times now ).

4) The Filter API looks a little funny, in that filter instances are
   added to the client, while the ByteBufferWrapper instances are
   presumably created by the implementation after registering the
   wrapper class with the filter instance. Probably best/cleaner
   to use the same style. It could also be an interface.

5) ByteBufferWrapper seems a little cluttered with implementation detail
   setSource() nor setWrapper()?? Maybe best to just provide an
   interface.

6) Upgrade handler, similar comment to 4. Why not just register an
   instance.

7) Exposing the filter list seems a little wrong, given the getter/
   setter style.

8) java.net.httpclient.HttpConnectionCache.CachedConnection should
   probably be an interface.

9) How does the cache handle tunnels? endpoint address/proxy/etc

10) Missing fluent style return from HttpRequest.setRequestBodyLimit

11) Should sendHeaders be specified to allow a null return value. I'm
    thinking about when setSendExpectContinue is set.

-Chris.