Hi,

A potential simplification of the HttpResponseHeadersHandler interface is to
turn it into a functional interface:

  HttpResponseHandler onHeaders(Future<HttpResponse> dresp) throws
InterruptedException, ExecutionException;

[Chris, i am not sure if an interface with two methods, one default, is
classified as a functional interface.]

- mirrors the pull-based asynchronous approach

- dresp.isDone() always returns true

- the Future encapsulates the underling exception, if any

- harder to swallow errors, since the exception from drep.get() will propagate
if not caught.

- a return of a null HttpResponseHandler means "not interested in the body".

FWIW the use of Future is the approach i chose for the Jersey client.

HttpResponseHandler would also be a functional interface:

    void onBodyPart(Future<ByteBuffer> bb) throws InterruptedException,
ExecutionException

- there is no inheritance relationship between HttpResponseHeadersHandler and
HttpResponseHandler.

- a "bb" with a capacity of 0 indicates the last part.

- the HttpResponse is not required as a parameter because the implementation
can obtain it from the onHeaders method.

If the use of Future is a bit extreme for some :-) then things can still be
simplified by following the above approach with an additional, and optional,
functional interface to handle errors when HttpClient.sendRequest is called.

--

Rather than setting the bytes on the HttpRequest with numerous methods i wonder
if it is better to have a functional interfaces for both OutputStream and the

  interface EntityWriter<T> { // Oh for disjunct types!
    /**
     * @return true if there is more to write
     */
    boolean write(T t) throws IOException;
  }

I believe the above can support all the existing functionality currently
expressed as methods, including the Iterable/Iterator. There can be instances
of EntityWriter for common functionality:

  EntityWriters.fromBytes(byte[] b, ...);

The same might be applicable to HttpResponse with an EntityReader:

  interface EntityReader<T, U> {
    U read(T t) throws IOException;
  }

Of course i might be missing something obvious here in terms of optimisation
currently performed by the implementation!

--

It somewhat bugs me that blocking and asynchronous pull/push functionality is
all defined using the same artifacts. But, my imagination is currently is

Paul.