On 01/08/2013 23:08, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 01/08/2013 14:18, Stuart Marks wrote:
:

To my eye the InetAddress/port constructors are used quite a bit more
often than the SocketAddress ones. I did a web search for "java
DatagramPacket example" and looked at all the examples on the first
page of hits. All of them used the InetAddress+port constructor
overloads (including the Oracle Java tutorial). I didn't see any uses
of the SocketAddress overloads.
That's what I would expect as DatagramPacket is old and and pre-dates
the SocketAddress abstraction.

One other thing to check is whether this API bug has ever been reported.
If not then it suggests that not too many people have actually run into
it. If these constructors are widely used then I would expect that the
bug would be reported before now.

I can find not such bug(s) reporting this issue. But I will file one now ;-)

-Chris.

-Alan