I'm not sure if there is precedent for adding such release notes inline in the javadoc (and subsequently removed in the next major release), but I am not opposed to it in principle. I guess it may look something like:

     * <p>Note: In this release, this constructor no longer declares
     * that it throws {@code SocketException}. Callers that explicitly
     * handle {@code SocketException} ( or one of its superclasses )
     * may need to remove this explicit exception handling.

Anyone every encounter this kind of comment before, or have a strong opinion either way ( I'm personally on the fence ).

-Chris.