On 02/10/13 15:40, Chris Hegarty wrote:
On 02/10/2013 04:44, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 01/10/2013 12:46, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
:

I updated the webrev

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/8010371/

with changes in the test of the return value of getaddrinfo for Unix
Inet 4 and 6 and Windows Inet 6. The usual testing is in progress.

Brian
This looks better, although I think I would reverse re-write the
expressions to "if (error = ...)".

One thing to consider is whether this condition is really worth
introducing HostLookupException, particularly when it doesn't include

I am also not convinced of the merits of adding a new public checked Exception type for this situation. Do we expect all callers of API's that can throw UKE to now have to catch this Exception and provide their own try logic? Otherwise, what do we expect them to do with it.

It's proposed as a subclass of UnknownHostException. So, nobody would have to catch it.

I suppose another approach, which is a variant of the first one suggested, would be retry logic built in, which is switched off by default and configurable somehow.

Michael