thanks Alan,

I'll double check the illegal state token recognition.
There was a security test that used this.

property name of "jdk.net.hosts.file"   is fine.

we can remove the code for reading the service provider property sun.net.spi.nameservice.provider.<N> and ignore its setting if we think that is most appropriate. I considered the ServiceConfigurationError, not quite "user friendly", but a reasonable form of feedback, to convey that the functionality was not available and so that an application
could be amended to align with NameService retirement.