On 04/12/2017 21:56, David Lloyd wrote:
:
I've had opportunity to give feedback, perhaps, though the API always
seemed incomplete.  At least nobody (that I saw) sent out a message
saying "Here it is, it's all done, what do you think?".  I've
certainly never had opportunity to try it out: given its status as an
incubating module present only in OpenJDK, the only people who are
really in a position to try it out are those using OpenJDK (as opposed
to other JDKs) with the flexibility to rewrite their use case if and
when the API changes status (being integrated or disappearing) or form
(evolving, presumably as a response to feedback), or people writing
throwaway applications for the sole purpose of testing this particular
API.  But those who are best able to make this kind of determination
are those who need to be able to immediately use the API, and rely
upon it indefinitely (for good or bad), which is definitely not the
case for anything incubated in the OpenJDK project.
Incubator modules (JEP 11) is the means to get non-final APIs and features into the hands of developers. In this case, the HTTP client was an incubator module in JDK 9 and is proposed to continue (with a new implementation and some API refinements [1]) as an incubator module in JDK 10. So there has been lots of time to try out the API, send feedback, contribute, etc. Yes, the onus is on interested developers to get involved and there has been useful feedback on this mailing mail. If you read JEP 11 then you'll know that an API or feature can't stay in the incubator forever, it either moves forever or it is removed. In this case, the API has been through numerous iterations and is looking quite good, hence JEP 321 proposes to move it forward so that it can be promoted to a platform module.

-Alan.

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/net-dev/2017-November/011017.html