Robert Story wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:36:51 +0200 Thomas wrote:
TA> Unfortunately our compatiblity credo doesn't seem to allow us to rename TA> that #define to something better, because I think it's *really* TA> misleading.

Right, but we could easily define a new one, with the same value, and use that
one in all the code (leaving the old one in the header for backwards
compatability).

Agreed. Steve, are you willing to incorporate this into your upcoming patch?

TA> Actually, I was tempting to make use of what the name TA> *suggests*, i.e. switch off persistent state handling (both load and TA> save) completely while leaving regular config file loading in place. TA> It's hard to come up with a good name for this now that yours exists. :-/

IMHO, neither of these configurations seem like the kind of thing you'd want to
change at run time. I would've thought that a configure optoin to actually
disable the code would be the way to go here...

I'm not sure I agree. Why require people to configure like this for the whole toolkit when all they want is to configure like this for a certain application instance? Why not even have a "noPersistentStore" config token?

+Thomas