Robert Story wrote:
> It probably wouldn't be too hard to add a config option to assume that an
> interface of the same name is always the same, even if the kernel ifIndex
> changes. But I'd not want it to be the default. It would also mean that other
> apps that use/report the ifIndex would report the newer ifIndex, which
> wouldn't show up in a snmpwalk of the ifTable.

This problems comes up every so often on IRC and MRTG-like forums, so it
deserves further attention. There's a submitted patch for doing it by
default:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1513191&group_id=12694&atid=312694

However, I agree it should rather be a config option instead.

Are there any runtime Linux kernel tunables that affect how [transient]
interfaces are reported?

BTW, please note that Cisco offers a config option for "ifIndex
persistence" like this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008020b28c.html

(This is not exactly the same issue, I know, but may be interesting to
some in this context anyway.)

+Thomas