I have a need to implement various MIBs (or parts of MIBs)
on linux as pass persistent scripts I'm running into more and
more cases where MIBs define octet strings
for the syntax of an OID (for example,
BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dBaseBridgeAddress, this is really a
MacAddress which is defined as an Octet String of length 6).

While I realize we are limited to having pass (and pass persistent)
scripts return:

   "(one of the text strings integer, gauge, counter, timeticks, ipaddress,
objectid,  or  string  )",

I'm wondering if we can somehow accommodate
"binary" data.    So if a script wanted to return an octet string,
perhaps we could return a hex string representation
and do the hexstring to binary conversion in ucd-snmp/pass_persist.c.

So for the MAC address above, my script could return the string
"00e0ec00526d" and this would be converted to the six byte in a buffer.

Thanks,
Sam Tannous