On Fri, Apr 27, 2018, at 7:53 PM, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> Robert Story <rst...@freesnmp.com> writes:
>
> |> That discussion is going on over on our admin list. It's not just a
> |> few of us running amok. ;-)

First, I meant no disrespect when I said "I think it would be best to get full
agreement from the team on this." My apologies if my statement came across that
way.

> Specifically, there are a bunch of pieces that we're considering
> individually.  We'll definitely move the repository, we're definitely
> going to start sending new issues over there.  There is debate about
> what to do with the old issues...  Many are out of date.  Bill Fenner is
> looking into converting the wiki pages to markdown.  etc...  We don't
> have an alternative to the SF mailing lists, though hosting them could
> be done in an number of places but email lists isn't really the way of
> github.  For now we'll leave them on sourceforge.  But under sourceforge
> we can no longer extract all the email addresses to move them, so it'll
> require manual process by everyone subscribed if we do move them.  We'd
> be happy to hear about any other thoughts you have about other
> considerations.  We are deliberately waiting until after 5.8 gets out
> the door to move anything, but our 5.8 announcement will include text
> about the upcoming changes.

I would very much like to be part of the discussion regarding moving to Github
if its amenable to you guys. As for the old issues, Ian and I suggested
closing/dropping bugs created before 2012 Nov 8 mainly because of the bug's age
and the modify on those seem to be a side effect of possibly some activity from
Sourceforge's infrastructure.

I'm personally split about what should be done the mailing lists. I find it
convenient because it's email that lands in your inbox with your other emails.
But, I feel figure out where the conversation has gone so far may require going
to the mailing list archive a disadvantage. In my opinion a discussion forum is
the best alternative to a mailing list system. Unfortunately, GIthub doesn't
have a "discussion forum" system, and users have been begging for it (see
https://github.com/dear-github/dear-github/issues/44 but I won't hold my breath
on this one).

What I would add to the list is having a discussion on the following and target
having a process in place before the "grand opening" to Github:
* "issues" that would normally go on a "discussion forum" if Github had one.
* Whether to stay with the current process of applying changes in the current
release branch and master.
* How merge requests will be processed.

--
Thanks,