I’ve got a local patch that’s been hanging around for a long time to set
session.localaddr from an -@ command line argument. The use case is a bit
esoteric, but has been mentioned a couple of times on the lists: the
existing clientaddr configuration has only one value, so we can’t set
values for IPv4 and IPv6. (And, an even more esoteric case, when you have
trap destinations in different VRFs, you have to be able to set different
source addresses even for the same IP address family.)

It’s paired with a patch that modifies NETSNMP_DS_LIB_CLIENT_ADDR around the

transport = netsnmp_transport_open_client("snmptrap", session.peername);

in the same way that _sess_open() does.

(Yes, source address specification was added to the *sink directives, but
that doesn’t help v3 sessions.)

Is it too late to add this? This occurs to me just because it’s an easier
way to test the transports’ support of clientaddr, by being able to set
clientaddr dynamically via the command line, and I just noticed that this
is broken in 5.8.

Thanks,
Bill
​