Ah, some progress.

The next thing in a listing of the tree is:
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntReasmMaxSize

And if I try query that OID on one of our Solaris 9 servers, snmpd core dumps immediately.

Also, I may have found what is generating the SNMP queries at 7:30 am. A coworker has installed some Dell management software to manage some blade servers. It _might_ be sending out SNMP broadcasts to discover new devices on the network. It's probably hitting a portion of the tree that happens to crash the Solaris 9 snmpd.

Perhaps it is time to upgrade Net-SNMP again.

Is anyone aware of a bug with that portion of the tree? I didn't have too much luck searching the bug database on sourceforge.

-Jason

Bruce Shaw wrote:

Could you run it through gdb?

The problem with diagnosing snmpwalk is that it tends to blow up on the next
thing to display, not the current output.  gdb would tell us what it's
working on at the time.

Any chance of running something a little newer eg. 5.1.2.pre2?

I was able to make it core dump by running an snmpwalk on the entire

tree. I was running both a snoop (port 161) and a truss (on snmpd) at the time.

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged information. Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.