[ Re-posting since the sourceforge mailserver
          seemed to be playing up yesterday]

> I'm having a SERIOUS  problem on configuration of a SNMPv3 agent. My
> snmpd.conf is shown below:
>
> #         security name    source     community
> com2sec   public           default     public

That's for community-based SNMP, and is completely irrelevant to SNMPv3.

> #       group name     security model       security name
> group     public            usm                 public

"public" is a slightly confusing username to use, but never mind.
Where have you set up the user "public" ?
You should have an entry
        "createUser public ....."
or      "usmUser    public ....."
                                    somewhere.  What does it look like?

> #                      name          incl/excl         subtree
> mask
> view                  all              included             .1
>       80
>
> #       group context sec.model  sec.level   prefix   read   write   notif
> access  public  ""      any        noauth     exact   all    none    none

Yes - that looks fine.
All you seem to be missing is the 'createUser' line.

>     When I try to get the MIB-II's sysDesc. Object from my local
> computer (source = default), I receive the message show below:
>
> Object ID: .1.3.6.1.6.3.15.1.1.3.0
> Counter: 2
>
>     Where  .1.3.6.1.6.3.15.1.1.3.0 is the oidUsmStatsUnknownUserNames
> Object, and NOT the sysDesc Object.

That fits.
You're trying to use a user "public", but the agent doesn't know about
this particular user.  So it's (correctly) reporting the fact.

See the file  README.snmpv3
That tells you how to set up SNMPv3 users.