> I see USE_LIBWRAP is defined in ucd-snmp, but undefined in
> net-snmp.  Or at least it's defined in ucd-snmp-config.h,
> but not in acconfig.h.

Forget about 'acconfig.h' - that's used as part of constructing the
configure system.   What's relevant are the two xxx-snmp-config.h
files - the top-level file ucd-snmp-config.h for the v4 line.
and include/net-snmp/net-snmp-config.h for the v5 line.

Whether these will define USE_LIBWRAP will depend on how the
configure script was invoked - in particular whether you
specified "--with-libwrap" or not.

> I have a problem where libnetsnmpagent.so gives me an un-
> defined symbol: hosts_ctl.  So I was wondering, running on
> 5.0.8, should I even be doing the hosts_ctl call at all?

It's certainly valid to call this, though it should probably
be protected behind an #ifdef USE_LIBWRAP
But if you are using this (or something in libnetsnmpagent.so is),
then the application does need to be linked with the libwrap library.

> It seems that it should be called only if USE_LIBWRAP is
> defined,

Correct.

> which (as far as I can tell) doesn't look to be defined in 5.0.8.

Insufficient data.
It depends on how your 5.0.8 installation was configured.
The fact that the library is looking for this call implies that
this suite *was* configured to include librwap support.