[ First - *please* don't mail me privately, without copying
         any responses to the mailing list.  I don't have the time
         or inclination to offer private, unpaid, SNMP consultancy.
         Keep discussions to the list, where others can both learn
         and offer advice.  Thanks.   ]

> > It depends on how your 5.0.8 installation was configured.
> > The fact that the library is looking for this call implies that
> > this suite *was* configured to include librwap support.
>
> Actually it was configured --with-libwrap.  Do you know what you
> lose (or gain) by configuring --with-libwrap.

It enables checks within the agent to consult the /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}
files before processing an SNMP request.  This is typically one element
of a multi-level series of security checks:

        external firewall
        kernel-level packet filtering
        /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}
        snmpd.conf access control

The idea is that a Black Hat would need to compromise *all* of these
levels of protection in order to gain access.   But of course, it also
means that you have to configure each of these properly in order to
enable authorised traffic.
   If you're happy to drop this particular check, and rely on the others,
then it's OK to re-configure without --with-libwrap.

Otherwise you'll need to ensure that all applications which link with
the agent libraries (which is the only place this is used), also
link with -lwrap