snmpwalk -v 1 -c public localhost nsModuleName | grep host

This returns nothing for me.

snmpwalk -v 1 -c public localhost version

nor does this.

Also, check your snmpd.conf to make sure it isn't configured to restrict access
to the host branch..

on the querying machine (I'm actually querying a remote host), there is no /usr/local/etc/snmp.conf file, nor is there a user snmp.conf file in .snmp. On the remote host (which I'm sure is what snmpd is reading anyway) the snmpd.conf file is configured this way:

com2sec   com      default   public
group     grp      v1   com
group     grp      v2c  com
view    vw      included        .1.3.6.1.4.1.8072
view      vw   included  .1.3.6.1.4.1.19312
view      vw   included  mib-2
view      vw   included  host
#view      vw   excluded  snmp
#view      vw   excluded  sysORTable
access    grp     ""   any  noauth    exact     vw     vw     vw
access    v3grp   ""   usm  auth      exact     vw     vw     vw

Thanks for the help. I've been tasked to figure this out, but snmp and net-snmp itself isn't my specialty at all, so my personal knowledge is limited. I exhausted all the info I could find on this, but it's quite possible something just isn't configured correctly as well.

Michael