README.solaris should lay it out fairly cleanly.

gcc is a perfectly good compiler

most of the information you want is in HOST-RESOURCES-MIB

>We are running Sun Sparc enterprise class servers with solaris 9.
>Trying to learn how to get snmp traps to collect information such as cpu
utilzation (ie. system,user, process), >disk utilization, failed login
attempts, etc.  going to a linux OpenNMS manager.

You wouldn't necessarily use traps for those (although it is possible).

>The sun mib does not report enough information for my client.  To be
honest, I have NOT worked with snmp other >than to collect to HP Openview
which has it's own mib agents.  Unfortunately, OpenNMS does not have mib
agents >for the sun.

README.solaris shows how to disable snmpdx and implement net-snmp.

>I was going to use net-snmp and the perl script creater to try and capture
the information to send via a trap to this server.

You don't need to do that.  Pretty much everything you want is already
available.

>After reading the README file, it states that the perl is not working and
there is only one version of net-snmp that seems to support solaris 9.

I haven't tried recently, but I've been able to compile several different
versions (eg. from CVS) for Solaris 9.

>If anyone could help or point me in the correct direction, I would
appreciate it.  Oh, also, there is limited access to any compilers.

I take it you want a binary.  I've been holding off posting recent binaries
because I'm waiting for a formal release.  I don't like binary-ing (is that
a word?) beta except for my own use.

>Reading the snmp documentation seems to be taking me in circles.

If you have any suggestions for improving the documentation, we'll try to
implement them.

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.