Thanks a lot for your prompt reply on this..

Probably, for my kind of setup, wherein I want more than one sub-agent to
register exactly the same OIDs in the MIB, the later option should be more
approriate. Can you help me with this.. I am using SNMPv2 at my end, where
do I define this context/community string now?

Say, I want snmpd to forward any GET request received with option "-c comm1"
to subagent-1 and with option "-c comm2" to subagent-2. Where do I need to
define these community strings. Do I need to put these somewhere in my MIB
too?

Thanks in advance for your indispensible help on the same.

On 7/3/07, Dave Shield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 03/07/07, Shivani Garg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I want to run multiple sub-agents (all running from one IP) all
registering
> the same MIB with one snmpd. Is there any way this can be supported
using
> agentx protocol so that a GET request for instance-1 of some MIB object
(say
> myObject) goes to subagent-1 and a request for instance-2 of the same
> myObject goes to subagent-2.

If the various subagents register individual instances (rather than a
complete
table), then this should work as expected.   There is a mechanism within
the
AgentX protocol to register OID "slices", which can be used to handle
different
rows of the table among the various subagents.
  Note that this feature has not been widely used in the Net-SNMP agent,
so
there may well be problems with this implementation.  We would look
forward
to hearing of your experiences.

> Or say there can be some other parameter (for example the community)...
can
> it happen that GET request for the same OID with community C1 goes to
> subagent-2 and with community C2 goes to subagent-2 (where both
subagents
> have registered the same MIB with the same snmpd).

Yes - you can register the MIBs multiple times, using a suitable "context"
string each time.   An SNMPv3 request can specify this context directly
and the agent will direct the request to the appropriate subagent.   An
SNMPv1/2c request can be mapped to the appropriate context using the
community string.

It's difficult to suggest which is the better approach for you, without
knowing
more about the MIBs you need to support.   If you are talking about having
duplicate copies of the exact same OIDs (e.g. scalar MIB objects), then
you need to look at using contexts.   If the MIB objects are all from
tables,
and particularly if you want to be able to retrieve information from
several
subagents as part of the same request, then you need to look at using
MIB slices.

Warm Regards,
Shivani