On 27/03/2008, Umesh Kamath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  When i  tried to run  snmpd   i got an error  as below
>
> /tmp/net-snmp-5.4.1/sbin/snmpd -f -Le -Dread_config
> Error opening specified endpoint ""
> Server Exiting with code 1

That's expected if you're running as non-root.

> Here when i tried  to bind on port 1161,
> i got  read_config_store open failure on /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf
>
> /tmp/net-snmp-5.4.1/sbin/snmpd -f -Le -d udp:1161
> read_config_store open failure on /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf
> read_config_store open failure on /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf
> read_config_store open failure on /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf

Again, that's expected when running as non-root.
Don't worry about them - the agent will run OK.

> I ran /tmp/net-snmp-5.4.1/sbin/snmpd  -c /home/uk1577/snmpd.conf  udp:1161
>  command and  this daemon showing  in "ps -ef". but when i run
> "snmpget  -v1 -cpublic localhost  sysUpTime.0"
>  i am getting timeout  Response.

> Here is snmpd.conf o/p
>
> rwuser  "uk1577" noauth
> rouser  uk1577 noauth 0

If you are using SNMP_v1, then these two lines are irrelevant.
(though you don't need both entries - rwuser covers read-access)

> rocommunity  public localhost
> rwcommunity  public localhost.localdomain

Again, you don't need both entries.

Try deleting both lines, and just have the one entry

    rocommunity public

Then restart the agent, and see whether you can query it or not.

If not, then restart the agent using

    /tmp/net-snmp-5.4.1/sbin/snmpd  -f -Le -d -c
/home/uk1577/snmpd.conf  udp:1161

and send the same query.  Do you see anything output by the agent or not?