        That's sane and sensible enough.

> In this kind of situation where Net-snmp code/function sends
> register messages to SNMPD after SNMPD goes down and comes
> up, is there any other mechanism to find out the completion
> of all registrations with SNMPD.? Because application code
> does not come to know that Net-snmp code in subagent has sent
> out all the registration messages to SNMPD. For example, does
> the net-snmp code of subagent send a trap to indicate that it
> has sent out all the registrations that were present in it's
> data structures after SNMPD has come up. If this trap is not
> existing currently in Net-snmp, If I add it in Net-snmp code
> and submit it as a patch, will it be accepted by the group.?

        The problem here is that it is legal and valid to perform registrations
at any time.  Therefore there is no way for the master agent to know that
registrations are complete.  There are some subagents which may never "finish"
registrations, just by their very nature.

        The traditional NM way to handle this situation is to identify the
_sine qua non_ registrations, and to trip an alarm if any of those vanish for
more than your threshold time.

        HTH,

Mike