Hi,

>  # We MUST use $_[0] instead of new variable to change global curLogFile value

Why do you have to use aliases for all variables?  Looks like you just
need to pass filename by reference .. I would change your function
call to use references and just pass logfile by reference ..

logRotateToFile(\$logfile, $extension, $message);

function logRotateToFile {
   my ($log_file_ref, $ext, $msg) = @_;
   #  Change global name
   ${$log_file_ref} = 'new name';
   .... more code ...
   #  Undef our reference to make sure we do not leak memory
   $log_file_ref = undef;
   return;
}

I think that will clarify your code and maybe explicitly setting the
reference to undef before return will get rid of the leak?

Just an idea.

- Max