> From: Cardoza, Eric D. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 9:55 AM

> Hello Mr. Ayers.

        Talk to the list, not the individual, please.

> The only tool is net-snmp.

        net-snmp is not a tool - it is a collection of tools.

>  As you see from the information
> in my email,
> I am using snmp commands such as snmpget or snmpwalk to query
> the MIBs.
> For a few minutes after I start the snmpd daemon on the system which I
> am querying, the snmp commands return OID data.  Then after a few
> minutes, I get the "Unknown engine ID" msg.  I must then stop and
> restart the snmpd daemon on the target system for the snmp commands to
> retrieve data again.  I am not using any external software product in
> this test.

        Hmmmm - this is *very* strange and should never happen - the engineID
should be a constant for an engine.  Can you please submit details for the
installation:

        - what OS are you running on?

        - where did the build come from?

        - Are you explicitly setting the engineId in snmpd.conf?

        That's a start...

        Thanks,

Mike