2009/2/6 Michael Jeung <jeungs...@gmail.com>:
> I'm trying to figure out how to solve this problem without resorting
> to contexts.
>
> For example, can I have each of the applications create and
> independantly manage a row inside a single table?

If you are defining the MIB for this information, then yes - you can
certainly structure it using "applicationID" (or something similar)
as one of the indexes to the table.

Each application would then be responsible for one row of
this table.  That's a perfectly normal approach.

Contexts tend to be used when the MIB structure is already
defined, and doesn't include this level of indexing.   If you need
parallel copies of the same (fixed) MIB - then contexts are the
way to handle this.

>       I don't like the fact that the person who queries me
> needs to know which context to use.

How is this different from the person making the query
needing to know which index to use?   The context is
effectively just another index, but "outside" the MIB
structure.