De: Dave Shield [mailto:d.t.shi...@liverpool.ac.uk]
Enviado el: martes, 31 de marzo de 2009 16:20
Para: Bart Van Assche
CC: net-snmp-users
Asunto: Re: Monitoring NTP and SNTP time synchronization software through SNMP

2009/3/31 Bart Van Assche <bart.vanass...@gmail.com>:
> By the way, which process is followed for evaluating and applying
> submitted Net-SNMP patches ?

There's effectively a two-fold mechanism for this.

The first element is "whoever has time"
   Various members of the core development team will cast an eye over
submissions to the various trackers (both patches and bug reports, and maybe
even feature requests) when they have some free time (and energy) to do so.
    Code patches will be applied if they are deemed useful/sensible/safe.

The second element is "we really must do something about this"
   At infrequent intervals, the core development team (and anyone else who is
interested) will get together and examine the outstanding submissions - often
concentrating on those relating to a particular subset of the project (e.g. all
perl-related issues, etc).
   The idea here is to either apply/fix the issue being reported, reject it (if
deemed inappropriate), or as a final resort - identify problematical areas that
need further investigation.

  In recent months, this latter has taken the form of a "Bug Bash" - initially
monthly, and now bi-monthly.

>                During the last weeks I have submitted seven patches
> via the patch tracker. As far as I can see, only one of these seven
> patches has been processed by this time.

Unfortunately, that doesn't surprise me.
As with many Open Source projects, the work of supporting the code falls on a
relatively small group of people, and we have to fit this around our paid
employment (and such outside interests as we have time for!)

   I can't speak for the others, but most of my attention tends to be taken up
with responding to queries on the mailing lists.
This doesn't tend to leave much time or energy for looking at
the patch or bug trackers.   Let alone actually coding any of
the new stuff, which is what I would really like to be doing!

Rest assured that anything submitted to the trackers
*will* get looked at.  Just not as quickly as any of us would like.