2009/7/24 Juliana Purjo <jpu...@live.com>:
> I am working on ucd-snmp (version 4.2.6), extending a set of private company
> MIBs. I have been told the foot-print of ucd-snmp is significantly lower
> than that of newer 5.x.x series net-snmp - Is this true?

Probably.
There are a number of additional MIB modules with the 5.x line,
as well as various other features, so it's quite probable that the
code will slowly increase in size.  That tends to be true of almost
any piece of software.

>   what would it take to reduce the foot print.

Please see the FAQ, which has suggestions regarding minimizing
the size of the compiled and running software.

> I notice the mib2c is completely rewritten which seems a benefit (I am using
> customized configuration files and 5.x.x mib2c seems easier to work with).
> Is there other notable reasons to consider  moving to 5.x.x?

It's not just mib2c - the v5 agent has a completely new handler mechanism
for implementing MIB modules.   Not only is it easier to write code
for MIB tables,
the processing should also be significantly more efficient, since
related varbinds
can be processed in parallel, rather than treating each varbind separately.

   Large chunks of the agent infrastructure have also been completely
re-written, to support the new handler-based architecture.  In fact, the
old v4-style approach is now simply a wrapper sitting on top of the new
handler mechanism, so there are additional overheads with this style of code.

And of course, the v4 line is no longer being supported, so if you stick with
this, then you are completely on your own.

Unfortunately, we can't really provide you with any significant implementation
experience of running the Net-SNMP agent on embedded systems.   I keep
putting out a plea for those who have done this to report back, but nobody
ever seems to bother.
   There's a first-draft entry in the latest version of the FAQ, but
it is in desperate
need of some real feedback from those who have on-the-ground experience with
doing this.

Here's hoping....