BD> I have successfully set up net-snmp on 5 Red Hat servers but can not
BD> complete the process on a sixth server.

It'd be  really hard to guess  from that what the  problem  is.  Did you
re-run configure from a fresh  untar after  installing the other  needed
packages?  Mostly, configure is pretty good in at least spitting out the
Makefiles if you have at least a minimal system.  (In fact, in well over
10  years of working  on this  stuff  I haven't seen  a  complaint about
configure failing to create Makefiles!).
--
Wes Hardaker
Cobham Analytic Solutions