Hi

Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am preparing a talk about the SNMP protocol and especially about the net-
> snmp implementation on a network monitoring conference. I am looking for the
> most common and most widespread prejudice against using SNMP. Of course
> anybody heard about SNMP not beeing safe, SNMP filling up the network or SNMP
> not beeing reliable.
>
> Please mail me any other myths about SNMP you heard. My talk should
> invalidate
> all these claims.

One of the most common excuses I hear is "Too much SNMP Polling will
load the router CPU too much", with respect to polling or walking
certain sub-trees of router mibs for high-end cisco routers. Although it
is possible to place some router models under resource strain if you
really try, I hear this excuse used often to create obstacles to
monitoring certain router/switch sub-trees. I think it would be
excellent if you could clear up once and for all what kind of load SNMP
polling patterns would place on various common series of
routers/switches. Bearing in mind many high end routers effectively
implement their SNMP agents in dedicated feature cards, so overloading
the route processors is not possible ...

> Thanks for interesting mails.

Regards,
Traiano Welcome

TENET