Hi all,

I am a snmp newbie trying to use net-snmp as an Agent in my linux Fedora 10
system.

To start using net-snmp as an snmp agent:

1. I  first installed these rpm's into our system:
>>rpm -qa | grep snmp
net-snmp-libs-5.4.2.1-4.fc10.
i386
net-snmp-5.4.2-3.fc10.i386
net-snmp-utils-5.4.2.1-4.fc10.i386

After that I found that I was not able to write agent code as the net-snmp
header files were
not installed with the above rpm installation.

2. Later I tried to install the developer rpm
(net-snmp-devel-5.4.2.1-4.fc10.i386.rpm ) which had the required header
files & libraries.

   Now I am confused how to compile the new mibs as it doesn't have the
mib2c compiler installed.

   I  looked into FAQ's and found that 'dlmod' is another way for writing C
code & integrating with the agent.

http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/FAQ.html#What_about__dlmod____what_s_that_about_

  There are some questions that I have :

1. The net-snmp-devel rpm doesn't have a mib2c compiler that means I can do
away with the mib2c compiler instead depend on dlmod for code & mib changes?
2.To write C code & integrate with the net-snmp agent or change/Add mib's,
which is the right rpm to use? Is it mandatory to use net-snmp source code
for this?

Thanks for your time,
Seshu