From: Dan Kingdon [mailto:d.king...@hanhamhighschool.org.uk]
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 7:42 AM
To: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: snmptrapd traphandle traptoemail not working

Hi all,

This is my first time dabbling with the snmptrapd program.  I am using Ubuntu
on a fairly unmodified snmp setup.

Just trying to set up a very basic email forwarder so that all snmp traps are
sent via email to the administrators address.

The snmptrapd.conf I am using is

"
authCommunity log public
traphandle default /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/traptoemail -s localhost -f
<FROMADDRESS> <MYADDRESS>
"

I can see the traps being logged in the syslog when snmptrapd is running, but I
do not receive any emails.

I have also tried the following test of the traptoemail script and received the
email fine.

"(echo localhost; echo 127.0.0.1; echo snmpTrapOID oidValue ; echo sysUpTime 1)
| /usr/bin/traptoemail -f <FROMADDRESS> -s localhost <MYADDRESS>"

I am now completely stuck, I have tried every variation I can find for the
traphandle line and still nothing.

Is there anyway I can debug what snmptrapd is doing other that the default
syslog output?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Kingdon