On 24 February 2010 10:16, Tanisha Kashyap <tanisha.kash...@aricent.com> wrote:
> I am using a NMS which sends a Set request to the snmp agent. On receiving a
> SET request, certain function is invoked.
>
> However at times, the set request seems to be received more than once which
> causes the function to be invoked again and again which is not desirable.

Are you sure that the agent is receiving multiple copies of the same request?
Remember that the Net-SNMP agent uses a multi-pass SET processing model,
which means that the same handler routines will be called several times for
a single SET request.   The last section of the file AGENT.txt describes this
behaviour in more detail.   (Don't be misled by the fact that this describes the
old v4-style API - the basic model is the same for the v5 handlers as well).

> Any pointers as to whether the retries need to be limited at the NMS end or
> the agent’s end? Do I need to change something in the config file
> (snmpd.conf) to correct this?

If the SET request *is* actually received more than once, then this is
something that will have to be tackled at the NMS end.