From: Leo Lin <hayashi_...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Unable to Extend snmpd: There is not such variable name in this MIB
To: "Net-snmp-users" <net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net>, "Mishustin Kirill"
<mishus...@eltex.nsk.ru>
Cc: hayashi_...@yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 1:54 PM

Hi Mishustin,

I've found why Net-SNMP shows the error :

"LLC-MIB: No such file or directory".

I found out that snmpconf() tool can load as many MIB files as you want, even
though, it is the same MIB file.  So, the first time I loaded my LLC-MIB.txt it
was ok, but the 2nd time, something was wrong.

the snmpconf() tool, does not tell you if the MIB file was loaded successfully
or not.  So, when I type

snmptranslate -Tp -IR frequency,
it does find the LLC-MIB file (the one I loaded correctly), but also try to
load the 2nd LLC-MIB file, the one has wrong path, so that when the error
message appears, because I instructed the Net-SNMP to output the errors to
stderr instead of a log file.

To fix this, I removed (rm) the snmp.conf and snmpd.conf file and re-created
them with snmpconf() tool.

I tried to extend again the snmp agent with mib2c.  I re-created the header and
source files for 'frequency' and 'step', and them re-compiled them using

./configure --with-mib-modules="frequency step"

somehow during the configure script, net-snmp tries to access the
"module_tmp_header.h" file, which does not exist.

if I don't give the parameters --with-mib-modules, the script runs fine.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Leo;