Hi folks,

[I have had difficulty searching the mail archives so apologies if this has
been answered previously]

Consider the following:

Routers send their syslog messages to a FreeBSD syslog server which runs a
parsing script to detect BGP up/down events.  On detection of such events,
the script generates a BGP trap using Net-SNMP tools towards a Netcool
probe.

[Router]----syslog---->[syslog server]----trap---->[Netcool probe]

Now the problem is that the trap contains the source address of the syslog
server.  However, the Netcool system needs to know the source of the
original message (i.e. the router) for assurance purposes.

We considered an SNMP v1 trap and setting the agent address to that of the
router, but the BGP v1 MIB does not contain the required bgpPeerRemoteAddr
varbind.  So we must use v2 traps.

We are also prevented from making changes to the Netcool rules file so
adding custom varbinds is not an option.

Is there a way to spoof the source address of an SNMP v2 trap with Net-SNMP?

Regards
Dennis